Thursday, October 22, 2009

Mom's Potato Salad

Well, this is almost Mom's potato salad. I would need to come up with some sort of substitute for the texture and taste of the hard boiled eggs. I made this for the first Olympia Raw Food Meetup potluck I attended. My version was missing the capers and I used apple cider vinegar , but it was yummy.

I made the whole Mayo recipe, but less than 1/2 on the vegetables, so I had dressing for the next day's salad. This was the first time I used jicama. At the Meetup potluck, I learned it is pronounced 'ee-cama'.

This recipe is from Sarma's new book, Living Raw Food. The mayonnaise is really yummy. I found the 3 teaspoons of sea salt to be a bit salty though (I used Himalayan), but then I didn't have the capers, so maybe those two balance each other out? The salad was fine without the capers, I didn't try to figure out something else to use instead of capers. Do you have any ideas? Leave a comment below if you do.

Avocado Mayonnaise

1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
1/2 cup sunflower seeds, soaked 1 hour or more
zest of 1/2 lemon
2 Tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tbs white wine vinegar
1 tsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp yellow mustard powder
1 1/2 cups filtered water
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 tsp sea salt

Blend all the ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth.

Phase 1 Omissions: white wine vinegar and nutritional yeast

Vegetables for "Potato Salad"

8 cups of 1/2-inch cubes of peeled jicama (from 3-4 medium jicamas)
2 cups carrots, peeled and diced small
4 cups celery, diced small
2 cups capers, roughly chopped
1 cup thinly slicked scallions
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

In a large bow, toss all the ingredients with the Avocado Mayonnaise until thoroughly coated.

Phase 1 substitutions: omit the carrots, add seeded cucumber or other phase 1 vegetable.

0 comments:

Post a Comment